A few weeks ago I posted that there was a Bear in my house, now we add an Eagle to the collection of wild beasts roaming my halls. Last night Jonathan had his Board of Review for his Eagle rank. It was a frustrating night from my point of view. He was told to be there at 6 p.m. with paperwork in hand and in uniform. Done! Well, at 6 p.m. one guy from the council wasn't there, nor was the advancement chair of Jonathan's troop. They waited "forever" for these men then finally decided to start without them (about 6:30 p.m.). Jonathan was pacing around the whole time showing classic signs of nervous energy... once he got into his BOR he was fine and knew it all. Dan got to sit in on the BOR and said the reviewers were impressed because Jonathan has done so much in scouting at such a young age (one man offered to take him to dinner if he earned 50 merit badges- he's at 42). Anyway, after a while Jonathan was sent out into the hall so the reviewers could "discuss things". Poor Jonathan's nerves... he was worried because there were concerns about the number of personal hours he spent on his project. Anyway, relief came a few minutes later as Jonathan was told he was now an Eagle. We're not done yet though and this is where my frustration comes in. Evidently, 2 required forms are missing from his paperwork. It's frustrating because I talked with 5 people about what we needed to have ready for the BOR and I got 5 answers. I talked with Dan (who didn't know), and man in our ward who has been through several Eagle things and got 1 set of answers, talked to another man in our ward who gave me a different set of answers, talked to the guy over scouting in our ward who had no clue, and talked to people at the scout office who gave me a completely different set of answers. I checked the BSA web site and there again is another set of answers. I asked the scout office about the BSA web site listed requirements and she told me to ignore them and they do things different in our council. GRRRRR! Shouldn't somebody know what forms are needed? Anyway, I've been told that Committee Chair will get me the necessary forms to fill out. I told him that all this paperwork stuff should be in a packet that goes out to every scout as they earn their Life rank and prepare for Eagle so this confussion can be avoided. Anyway, all is well that ends well. Jonathan has achieved the highest rank the BSA offers. He's learned a lot and loved scouting. I love that he says that just because he's earned his Eagle doesn't mean that he is done with scouting. He says he want to be earning merit badges and Eagle Palms as a Priest. Good for him! Oh, and as for the missing members of the Board of Review... one made it around 6:45 p.m., the other said he was never told about the BOR.
Friday, December 19, 2008
There's an Eagle in my House
Posted by squidlover at 9:57 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment