BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spring Break 2013, Reflections

First, it's been 4.5 days since we got off the ship.  I still feel like I'm on it.  Evidently I am much more sensitive to boat motion than anyone else in the family.  But, I knew that while on the ship.  I'd mention that the ship was rocking and everyone would look at me like I was crazy; I was the only one who could feel it.  I
had them look at the water in my glass to prove that I wasn't nuts and the water was slightly shifting.  Cruising was like riding a 5 day long 3.0 magnitude earthquake (except for the last day, which was a much stronger earthquake).  Today the "rocking" is lessening and hopefully I'll soon be able to get off my own private land cruise.

Mileage- We sailed more that 1,200 nautical miles and drove 1,454 miles.  The driving part was through mostly ugly America, especially the drive to San Antonio.  The thought of driving all the way to El Paso is tortuous.

Battle of the Beignets-  There are 2 cafes known for Beignets in New Orleans- Cafe du Monde and Cafe Beignet.  We give the "Best Beignet" award to Cafe du Monde.  Theirs were puffier and hotter, but I might need to go back and sample Beignets from both places again, just to be sure.  I did get Cafe Beignet's recipe; I sense a culinary experiment in the near future.

Phone Navigation- Big fan!  Loved being able to search for where I was going, then hitting "directions", then being told where and when to turn.  Accuracy?  Spot on.  It even knew when I was on the "feeder" instead of the freeway 10 feet away.  Knew about "one way streets"?  Every one of them.  Instantly recalculated the route when its directions were ignored?  Yep.  There was only one time Google Maps was "wrong" with the verbal instructions- the "voice" said to get on the1405 East, the map was right and showed that we should be on the 1405 West.  So, relying on the voice directions alone wouldn't have been right that one time. 

The boys hate it when I ask them "What was your favorite part of the trip?".  This time, I tried an new way of asking; I asked, "What were the highlights of the trip?"  I got answers!  Jonathan's highlights were the unveiling of the cruise, eating Beignets for breakfast while listening to live jazz, and snorkeling with ray.  Nolan's highlights were Chichen Itza, the "Didjas" at dinner and all the food, snorkeling with the ray .  I asked them what the lowlights were- Jonathan listed the Dodge Avenger, Days at Sea, and Bourbon Street.  Nolan said the Memphis airport, and humidity.  Miles liked "french fries and ice cream" and "sand and ocean."  Dan liked dining together.  Me?  Chichen Itza was awesome.  Dinner time was fun too.  The not so great parts were being sea sick and long car drives.

Spring Break 2014 will be different.  There are not plans in the works, but I already know it will be a very different trip.  Jonathan won't be with us as his spring break doesn't align with Nolan's and Miles'.  Our last "all together big trip"?  Possibly, but I hope not.

0 comments: