I had a flashback today that took me back to the late 1970's/very early 80's and to reminisce about my first alarm clock. I had a cheap white plastic rectangular alarm clock. It had a clock face, hands and all. I don't recall digital being invented then! To set the time, I turned the clock over and pushed the knob "in" while rotating the knob until the hands got to the correct time. The alarm was a small gold hand. To set the hand, I pulled the "time setting knob" out while rotating the knob until the alarm hand was at the correct wake-up time. To set the alarm, there was another knob on the back- pull it out and the alarm was set; push it in and the alarm was off. It sort of looked like this clock...
Now, this "cheap white plastic rectangular alarm clock" was pretty high-tech because on the top of the alarm clock was a rectangular button-- a snooze alarm. I never used that snooze button, and because of my first alarm clock, I never have used a snooze button. My first alarm clock had the most awful sounding alarm ever. It sounded worse than a spoon in the garbage disposal. I hated my alarm clock and I remember never sleeping well when the alarm was set because the alarm sound was so terrible that I would wake up throughout the night to check to see if it was time to get up so I didn't have to hear the alarm. If the alarm did go off, I never hit the snooze because I didn't want to hear the alarm again. Fortunately, I was able to train myself to get up before the alarm went off. The alarm clock made a click sound before the alarm sounded. I trained myself to hear "the click" and shut off the alarm really fast so I didn't have to hear the "buzz-of-death." That alarm clock, as awful as it was, taught me that when an alarm clock goes off it is time to get up. I've never had a problem getting out of bed in the morning when an alarm clock is sounding.
Wednesday, December 1, 2010
My First Alarm Clock
Posted by squidlover at 8:42 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment