I was supposed to receive a package sent by Amazon via UPS yesterday. It didn't come. I checked the tracking info and it said "delivered" to Provo, Utah. Nice. I don't live in Provo. I verified that I gave Amazon the right address to ship the package to; I did. Then I tried to contact UPS to find out what they were going to do about the delivery error. It's really difficult to get a human on the phone at UPS. I went through the automated system and all I could find out was that they really did deliver my package to the wrong address in the wrong city. I hung up and called the main UPS 1-800 number and pushed "0" for operator. The automated system told me that it would be happy to connect me to an operator after I used the automated system. I went through the automated system again... no new help... it asked me if my questions were answered... I said "No"... it told me that my response was invalid and I needed to make a new selection. I said "operator" and it told me that was not an available option. Finally I just started pushing the "0" on the phone and finally I got a human! I explained the situation and the operator said she needed to transfer me to a different department. That department said the wait time would be about 35 minutes. Nice. I waited and cleaned my kitchen while on hold. I finally got a human and I again explained the situation. The UPS rep said that they did deliver the package to the wrong place and they would start looking into the situation. Then the rep asked me if I'd tried to go recover the package myself. Whatever... that's their job. Mr. Rep told me to contact Amazon on my end because that would speed stuff up and that UPS would call me by 10 a.m. today to update me on the situation. They didn't call back...
I notified Amazon via email about the problem and got a weird ESL type of response telling me that UPS couldn't find my address and I had 3 days to go pick up the package. That info didn't jive with the UPS info and at the end of the email it said that if the response wasn't sufficient, then I could click a link for more help. I clicked the link and it gave me the option to talk to a real live human. It said to put my phone number in the box and click "send" and an Amazon rep would call me immediately. Skeptically, I followed directions. I clicked "send" and my phone immediately rang. Jace from Amazon was calling. I explained the problem to him. He apologized and said that if it was acceptable, Amazon would send me a replacement product with overnight shipping at no charge. Remember, Amazon did not make the mistake... UPS did. If I no longer wanted the product, Amazon would refund the purchase price and the shipping. I requested a replacement product. In addition, to compensate me for the inconvenience Amazon gave me a $10 account credit. Wow! Thanks Amazon! They apologized for UPS' error... UPS never did. Amazon offered to make it right... UPS didn't call me back when they said they would. Yea for Amazon.
Oh, late this afternoon, I did get a call from UPS. They recovered my package and will redeliver it next week. So now it looks like I will have 2 toothbrushes... what it the ethical thing for me to do? I don't want 2 spiffy toothbrushes so I guess I'll send one back to Amazon, if they pay the shipping. It will be interesting to see how Amazon handles this!
Friday, December 24, 2010
Devoted to Amazon
Posted by squidlover at 9:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment