BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Music

Once upon a time, many, many years ago, my family went Christmas Caroling with my cousin's family and a bunch of other people who were probably people that I knew but now can't remember who was there. We gathered around the piano in my cousin's house to warm up and to see what songs everybody actually knew. I remember warming up with We Wish You a Merry Christmas. I was joyfully singing along and must have been singing loudly. I remember singing "Good tidings we bring to you and your KING, We wish you a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year." After the song was over, one of the adults had to point out my word blunder and announce to everyone that the word was "kin" and not "king". I was really embarrassed.

I was fortunate to take piano lessons from a teacher who did not believe in Christmas Recitals! I knew it was Christmastime when I was told to bring Jesu Bambino, Away in a Manger, the Christmas medley, and What Child is This? to my lesson. I love those arrangements! The other day, Jonathan asked me when I was going to play the medley piece. I told him that it would have to wait until the piano repairman comes. He'll be here on Tuesday and I plan to dust off that piece Tuesday evening. While I didn't have to play in a Christmas recital, I did have to provide music for shoppers. One year I played on an ugly white grand piano that was set up in a major mall traffic (walking traffic)area- it was right outside the Hello Kitty store and I remember thinking about all the bubble gum scented erasers in that store as I played. I entertained mall shoppers with Christmas songs for about a half an hour. A few other times I provided music for Christmas shoppers at a boutique-ish store in Livermore during their Christmas open house. After I finished playing there, I got to choose any ornament I wanted from their tree. I remember choosing an angel with porcelain hands and head. I thought she was lovely.

Other Christmas music opportunities were the annual junior high and elementary school band concerts (painful to listen too!); my 8th grade band performed at the mall; and one year I sang in a choir that performed Handel's Messiah.

0 comments: