BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Breadcutting 101

Why is it that cutting homemade bread is so difficult? I remember being intimidated by that loaf of bread and knowing before I ever even touched the knife to the loaf that I would cut it unevenly. I still don't cut it perfectly straight, but I'm improving with age! Below is Nolan's first-ever attempt of cutting a slice of bread. I think he'd benefit from a class or two on bread cutting.

1 comments:

ann said...

There are a couple of secrets to cutting bread. One is to saw, don't push. The second is to have a good knife--It should be serrated and should be sharpened on both sides of the serration, in other words it cuts both directions--coming and going. Most knives only cut one direction. Buy the Pampered Chef bread knife(not the professional one). It's only about $9 and it works amazingly well. Third is like many things, look where you are going and saw in that direction. Follow these tips and you will be surprised at your success.

How do I know these things? I grew up with homemade bread and a big brother who slugged me when I cut a wedge! :)