BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Selfishness

Our ward is doing a Christmas Stocking Service Project for the local homeless shelters and "nearby" Indian Reservations. The humanitarian leader asked each family to fill a stocking with essential items, and it would be nice/fun if the filled stocking corresponded with the gender and ages of people living in your home. We took 4 stockings and I started raiding the cabinets for on-hand items that could go in the stockings. I filled an "Infant GIRL, ages 3-6 months" 99% of the way from stuff on hand... socks, pajamas (they were girl Pajamas, that why it's an infant girl stocking), pacifiers, nail clippers, formula, nasal aspirator, a photo album, changing pad, toy links, and baby oil. There was a small "empty" spot in the stocking that bugged me so I bought some diaper rash cream to fill the hole. I filled a "Ladies" stocking 100% with stuff I had on hand... glycerin soap, facial soap, eyelash curler, eye-care make-up kit, make-up brushes, moisturizer (those were all Mary-Kay minis), hairbrush, tissues, hat/scarf/gloves, note cards, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, and bath foam. We filled 2 "Boy" stockings as well. From home, I put in mechanical pencils, collapsible cup, toothpaste, dental floss, tissues, and chapstick. For the rest of the stuff we went to the store, and that's where the title of my post "Selfishness" comes in...

Jonathan was into the giving mode. He was bummed that we couldn't buy a coat to stuff in the stocking (I told him to wait for the Angel Tree). He happily picked out the rest of the stuff... boxer shorts with ants on them, socks, a bouncy ball, a Tech Deck skateboard toy, a notebook, toothbrush, and deodorant. Nolan was supposed to choose the same stuff for the stocking for the boys his age (minus the deodorant). First he was mad that we had socks at home that we could use for that stocking. Then he was mad that he wasn't getting new underwear. He kept asking/whining/demanding to know why he he wasn't getting anything. He grudgingly threw stuff into the cart, mad that it wasn't for him. Is tarted getting really annoyed, but then remembered that Jonathan was the same way a few years ago, and that he grew up and now understands the purpose and spirit of giving. I'll give Nolan a few years to understand.

0 comments: