BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Driver Belongs ON the Short Bus

Last week I noticed that there was an extra adult on Miles' bus. I was wondering what he was doing on the bus because he was definitely too old to be receiving services from the ASD, but there was was something "vacant" on the man's face that made me wonder... Anyway, today we were following our usual "waiting for the bus" routine. Miles was watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I was watching out the window for the bus. Normally the bus makes a u-turn in front of our house and then stops at the walk for Miles. Today, the bus made the u-turn a half a block too soon and pulled up in front of a neighbor's house (whose brick is almost the same color as ours, but the house is a totally different style). I knew that the bus was at the wrong house, but the driver didn't. I grabbed Miles, threw his coat and backpack on him, then held Miles as I ran down the street to the bus. The bus started to drive off, but then saw us and stopped. The doors opened. Miles went to get on the bus, and I looked at the driver in horror... driving the bus was the mystery adult from last week. I recovered quickly and told the man that he was at the wrong house- that he'd turned too soon. His comment was "It's only my first day." I told him again that he was at the wrong house. I got a vacant stare. I told him and the aide that they'd turned too soon and that we lived further down the street. They didn't comment. The doors shut and off they drove with my Miles inside. I'll admit that I was worried about where they were going to drop him off at the end of the school day. At 11:30 this morning I was outside waiting and watching for the bus. It came down the street and this time, the driver turned in the right place and Miles was safely returned to me.

0 comments: