BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 19, 2012

Kauai 2012, Day 2

This morning we did the Walmart/Costco run.  Much easier with daylight. Then we headed to Ke'e Beach, at the end of the road on the north shore.  The last time I was here, this was was my favorite beach. That was in the summer.  October is considered the Winter season (ha!) and it's quite a different beach.  When I was here before, the ocean was calm as glass.  Sea turtles were everywhere eating from the shallow reef.  Well, this time, the beach was full of crashing waves and was closed for swimming.  Bummer.  Miles wanted to build a sandcastle, but got mad because the waves kept destroying it.



Since we couldn't swim, we decided to hike on the Kalalau trail.  Dan and I hiked the trail last time until it was too muddy for us to want to go any further.  Today the trail was essentially dry.  The trail goes along the Na Pali coast- up mountains, through valleys, across streams.  We decided to go as far as the first beach.  Miles was squirrely and Dan almost turned back with him.  We got him settled and kept hiking.  Miles even walked a decent section.  The jungle is amazing!  We boulder hopped across a river and stayed off the beach with the dangerous waves.  On one of the "dangerous beach" warning signs, there was a death by drowning tally.  The boys cooled off in the river, then we hiked out.





I remembered the amazing sunset from Ke'e Beach from the last time we were here and wanted to see it again.  We weren't disappointed.

The boys wanted Costco food court stuff for dinner, so we obliged them.  Did you know that the hotdog and drink combo costs the same on Kauai as it does on the mainland?  I guess we're subsidizing the Hawaiians.  Actually, the prices on everything except milk, bread, and produce were the same...

Back at the condo, the boys went swimming before bed.

I discovered I can make due wearing Dan's glasses if I only look out the left lens.

0 comments: