BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

I go on cooking quests. My first quest was for the perfect brownie. I discovered that Bona's recipe with slight modification was my ideal brownie. Then my quest was to find the "best" chocolate chip cookie recipe. I have been on this quest for years. I've tried dozen of recipes and bought cookbooks that are dedicated to chocolate chip cookies. I've found several really good recipes, but I didn't think that any of them were "the one". I have found what I've been looking for. I don't know what makes this recipe so special, there's nothing really unique about it, but it's amazing enough to get me to use my oven on a hot July day and for my boys to ask repeatedly for me to "make them again". Here's the recipe (with my modifications, because sometimes I can find ways to simplify the process without altering the final product in any noticeable way)...

New York Times Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream for 5+ minutes

  • 2 1/2 sticks of Butter (mine is always straight from the refrigerator)
  • 1 1/4 C Brown Sugar (or 10 oz, because I prefer to weigh it)
  • 1 C + 2 Tbsp Sugar (8 oz)
Add 2 large Eggs
Add 2 tsp. Vanilla

Add...
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
Mix it well, then add 4 C Flour
Add 1 bag DARK Chocolate Chips

Scoop into large balls (golf ball size) and place in a plastic bowl with a layer of plastic wrap between layers of dough. Cover last layer completely with plastic wrap and snap on the container lid. Refrigerate for a minimum of 24 hours and up to 72 hours (evidently this is critical and I haven't cheated on this step). The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake cookies 6 at a time for 18 minutes. Remove from oven as top is browning, but insides still look wet. Leave on baking sheet until completely cooled.

I just took a batch of these cookies out of the oven. Nolan had one cookie while it was still hot, then came back for seconds! I've restrained myself and only had 1/2 of a cookie.

Try them! They are magical!

0 comments: