BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, August 19, 2013

On to the Next Phase

Yesterday we dropped Jonathan off at the University of Utah.  He had so much stuff that 2 cars were required to haul his stuff up to school.  As I watched his "packed" pile grow and grow, I couldn't help but think, "How much stuff can possibly fit in 96 sq ft.?"  I fully expected to bring half of it back home, but somehow, 97% of his stuff stayed.  Jonathan moved in about a week before any of his roommates because he still has to attend orientation.  Today was the boring part- "on campus" orientation.  Tomorrow, the fun begins as he heads off on a field trip- whitewater river rafting.  I know I never attended orientation like that.  Here's Jonathan is in his dorm...

Driving away was harder than I expected.  For many, many years, Jonathan's departure has been anticipated/expected.  But the day finally arrived, and my heart hurt.  Actually, I was fine until I was around the 53rd South exit.  Then I started feeling emotional, and by the 114 South exit, I was blinking back tears.  I had a parenting epiphany earlier in the day.  I realized that the main purpose in parenting was being fulfilled.  A parent is trusted with a helpless infant and the role of the parent is, over 18 or so years, to teach and prepare the child to leave the home and be successful.  Yesterday the role of a mother bird nudging her chick out of the nest so that the chick can learn to spread its wings and fly was done.  I'm sure Jonathan is going to be fine.  He's prepared, for the most part, I think; and he's not that far away if he needs help/support.  I just hope he remembers to call or text on occassion (or frequently).

0 comments: