BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

School Fees

Not everything about school starting is fabulous. Having kids in the secondary education system means school fees. Secondary Education is not free; fees apply. These fees aren't for extra-curricular activities, but they are for your everyday, run-of-the-mill required classes. The junior high fees aren't awful, but they really stick it to you with the high school fees. For example, English is a required class. It costs $15 to take English at the high school. Nolan is required to take PE. It costs $3. Science costs $10 at the junior high and $15 at the high school. It costs $2 to use the library and another $2 to have a locker, whether you want to have a locker or not. The textbook rental fee is $35. It costs $50 to be in band in high school even though Jonathan has his own instruments. It cost $123 for Nolan to walk through the front door of the junior high. It cost $249 for Jonathan to attend THS. Now, those fees aren't the only fees I get to pay. I already paid $400 for Jonathan to be in marching band. I have to pay a $35 fee to UVU for Jonathan to take his concurrent enrollment class. His pep band shirt will cost another $10 (and why that isn't a part of his band fee, I do not know). In the spring, I will have the opportunity to pay approximately $450 for him to go on band tour. I already paid $115 for summer Driver's Ed. When the final fee of the year is paid, Jonathan's junior year should cost close to $1300 out of pocket for his public education (not counting all the optional fun stuff... lunch, dance tickets, pictures, food while on band tours...). Nolan came home from school yesterday with a note from his ballroom teacher indicating that (in addition to the $3 required fee for ballroom) I have to purchase dance shoes for him. Really? Lame. Well, what's another $30 at this point? I know school budgets are beyond stretched, but so are many people's personal finances. I'd hate to limit my children as to what they can take based on additional fees. I have an issue with the school district charging me fees for classes required for graduation. To me, if it's required, the school district/state should cover the cost of the class. I paid my fees. My kids are in school. Rant over.

0 comments: