BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chocolate Mint Treasures

Oh yum! I broke my sugar-fast with this treat (and I ate lots of it and feel awful now and am immediately returning to the n0-sugar realm). I found this recipe in Taste of Home magazine and thought it sounded yummy and thought it might be a good addition to Amy's wedding reception treats. I thought they were a double layer brownie with mint and chocolate on top. Last night when I was making them, I wasn't sure what they were because the batter was so stiff. It turns out that they are a double layer shortbread-ish cookie with mint and chocolate on top. Yes, they are a bit time consuming to make, but so worth it!
Chocolate Mint Treasures
Base Layer
Cream: 1/2 C Butter and 1/2 C Sugar
Add: 1 Egg and 1/2 tsp Vanilla
Add: 1/8 tsp Salt, 1/4 C Cocoa, and 1 C Flour
Press into bottom of sprayed 9 x 13 pan.

Second Layer (it the same as the base but no cocoa and more flour)
Cream: 1/2 C Butter and 1/2 C Sugar
Add: 1 Egg and 1/2 tsp Vanilla
Add: 1/8 tsp salt and 1 1/4 C Flour
Spread over base layer (I smooshed the "dough" between my hands like thin hamburger patties then placed them on top of the base layer)
Bake @ 350 for 18+ minutes, until top layer begin to turn golden brown

Remove from oven and place a layer of After Eight mints on top (which I couldn't find, so I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares with mint filling instead). Return pan to oven for 2 minutes to melt chocolate. Spread mints evenly over the top. Allow to cool.

Melt 3 oz Bittersweet chocolate with 1 Tbsp Butter. Drizzle over the top (I think this layer is probably unnecessary as I don't think it really added anything to the final product). Top with white chocolate curls. Cut into triangles to serve.

0 comments: