BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 29, 2010

My Mean Side

Like (almost) everyone else in the world, I get irritated by things people do. If I'm really, really bugged by something someone did/does, I compose a lovely little note to that person in my head. That way, I feel I have addressed my issue with whatever my problem is with that person, but it's in a way that offends no one and I feel better. For example, the other day I saw a lady helping her child with a Halloween costume. The child, although very little of stature, was old enough to not need mommy to help dress him... the boy has got to be around Nolan's age! The costume was a super hero suit and it was maybe a size 6. It was skin-tight-perma-wedgie fit on this boy. I could not believe that a mother would allow her son out in public in such a revealing outfit. In my mind I thought,

"Dear Clueless Mother, Did you look at how that costume fits your child? Would you ever walk out in public with something that clingy/Saran wrapped on your body in public? Do you not realize that that costume leave no doubt in any observer's mind that your child is indeed a male? Also, dear Clueless Mother, why are you still dressing your 'Tween? Let him grow up and make some of his own choices. They may be better than the choices you make for him. Sincerely, Me"

Or another mental letter...

"Dear Rude Lady, I'm sorry that my screaming child annoys you. Guess what? The screaming annoys me too. However, unlike you, I realize that my child's naughtiness is less than charming and I choose to deal with the breech of etiquette as it is occurring while you seem to think that we find your child's naughtiness adorable. She who is without fault may cast the first stone. Sincerely, Me"

Does this form of passive/aggressive behavior really solve anything? No, but it helps me to move on. Ideally. Maybe. Sometimes.

1 comments:

daltongirl said...

I'm trying to figure out how to do this so it makes a difference. These types of letters are supposed to be cathartic, according to psychologists. But if they never go anywhere, they don't make me feel any better. And if they did go somewhere and hurt someone's feelings, I'd feel worse. Thinking about starting a blog where I send my letters out into the universe where maybe someone will read them and empathize. Most of them will be addressed to certain of my kids. And bad drivers. (Same audience?)

On second thought, maybe I'll just stick to praying for more patience.