BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break 2012, Day 3

There always has to be a "bad day" during a vacation. Can I vote that today was that day? Today was long and boring and full of driving. Miles was ornery again and at one point was doing everything possible to let everyone in the car, as well as in the western hemisphere, know that he was not happy about being put back in his car seat.


We started the day out in Council Bluffs, Iowa. We went to the Kanesville Tabernacle. The nice lady at the visitor's center asked us how much time we had; we said as long as a 3 year old attention span is. She asked, "10 minutes?" 90 minutes later we finished a long and dry tour.
I then asked Mr. Tour Director if there was a way onto I-80 from that end of the city. He told me that I needed to go back through town, get on the 29, then the 680 which would lead me to 80. I trusted him, but later consulted a map only to find that we'd been directed 19 miles out of our way. From there we drove. All day. We crossed Iowa, entered Illinois, drove to Nauvoo where we found that it shuts down at 5 p.m. It was 5:15 p.m. We walked the temple grounds (another day, another temple) then we decided that we needed to find a place to stay (and that tonight an indoor pool was a requirement). We found a hotel and asked the clerk to recommend a good place to eat. She said that Hawkeyes was the best. After eating there, I can say that the Pizza Hut and the Taco Bell we drove past would have been gourmet compared to Hawkeyes. So we went back to the hotel, the elevator was stuck on the 3rd floor. The clerk had to go and retrieve the elevator. We went up to our room, opened the door, and immediately knew we needed to change rooms because that room stunk! Dan went down and came back with several other room keys. I chose the best smelling room we were offered. The boys are down in the pool and I'm enjoying the silence of the non-stinky room and counting down the minutes until it's Nyquil time. What a day...

0 comments: